One must know about how to turn on the laptop without using its power button actually created for this. I have come across a situation where my laptop’s power button was broken and I had to turn it on anyway. The same thing happened to me when I had to use a laptop for the exam preparation, I was not left with any other option except come with the solution out of the box, how to turn on the laptop without using a power button.
Necessity is the mother of invention and same thing happened to me, I found a way and turned-on my laptop. There was also a time when power button was not broken but not working too. It is better to equipped with knowledge before we need to apply in such situation.
Let’s start discussing about how to turn-on the laptop without using the power button. We will share comprehensive information in steps which will better help you in understanding the things.
How To Turn On the Laptop Without Using a Power Button ?
We are going to share with you multiple ways, so you can try the one which is more convenient for you.
By Using an External Keyboard
Using an external keyboard is one of the easiest ways and will be helpful for the users going through such situation. It takes below steps to follow.
- First of all, user needs go to the BIOS setting. F2 is the short key to enter the BIOS.
- If your laptop is already on and want to go BIOS without restarting, follow below steps.
- Go to the Windows Settings.
- Go to the Update and Security from the Settings.
- Click on the option “Recovery”.
- It will show you two tabs, “Get Started” and “Restart Now”.
- Click on the tab “Restart Now”.
- In the next step, select the option “troubleshooting”.
- Choose the Advanced options and then hit on the “Power Management”.
- Press Enter.
- User needs to search for a settings named as “Turn-on by Keyboard” or a similar to this.
- To activate or enable this option, press + or – key.
- Once you press the F10 button, it will save the progress and perform exit.
You have successfully applied the method of turning on the laptop by using preferred key. Now, its time to check whether settings have been applied or not?
User needs to turn-off the laptop and then use the preferred key to turn it on back. If using the preferred key turns on your laptop, no need to be worried about power button if broken.
By Using Wake on LAN Windows 10
It is always better using the first method which mentioned above for turning on the laptop without using power button. If it did not work for the user, then this method is also a good option. You can surely follow the below steps.
- Go and access the BIOS settings.
- Go to the option of “Power Management” to continue.
- Find the option “power on LAN”, go and enable this option.
- Now, type “Device Manager” on search bar and hit Enter.
- User needs to click on Network Adapters to find and access own network card.
- Once you find your own network card, perform double click on it.
- Click on the tab “Power Management”, click to allow the device to wake the computer if it was disabled.
- Now, turn-off the laptop and then connect the LAN wire into your laptop, it will turn-on the laptop without using the power button.
We hope, the above solution is really helpful for you and reduces dependence on power button.
How To Turn On MAC Without Using a Power Button ?
It is not difficult to turn-on the MAC without using its power button and involves the same technique used in Windows PC. MAC comes with built-in virtual networking computing, this is also known as screen-sharing.
First of all, it requires you to activate screen sharing feature on your laptop. Its process also requires two laptops to establish the server connection between them, so that they can share the screen with each other.
In simple words, there will be one administrator laptop working as host and the other laptop will be used for navigating the things on. When you successfully establish the server connection between them, host computer can be turned-off, while other computer performs all navigation on operating system.
When Mac user wants to turn the admin computer on, just provide this code “sudo shutdown –r now” and this code will turn-on the host MAC computer.
How To Install a New Power Button on a Laptop ?
If your laptop’s power button has broken and lost it somewhere, then it needs to be replaced with the new one. You can definitely install a new power button on your laptop. All such users needs to follow the below steps to achieve this.
- First of all, remove the battery panel and AC adapter.
- Also remove the hard drive.
- Also remove the RAM.
- Pick out the all keys on keyboard.
- Locate the area of the Power button and place the new button on the same space.
- Once you fit the button on the key space, successfully completed this.
Place back the all things which you removed for installing the power button. Now, use the same button for restarting the laptop to check if it works.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are going to answer the most frequently asked questions on this topic.
Why my laptop is not turning on after pressing power button ?
There may be various reasons behind this issue. First of all, your laptop is unable to get the proper power supply and something wrong with the laptop’s charger. Second, laptop battery is faulty and not preserving enough power to turn-on the laptop. Third, power button is broken and unable to perform its function.
Is power button on laptop disabled by default ?
The answer is Yes, laptop’s power button is always disabled by default. Therefore, it is the admin job to enable the power button to the suitable function.
We shared with you four methods, so our readers can choose the most convenient one to turn on the laptop without using the power button. All users make sure to read and keep remember these methods to get out of the issue when it occurs. One can lose the power button when needs the laptop most for something productive or urgent.